Hi 2018 - holidays, new years resolutions and all that

So, back again after ages:)
Since yesterday I'm back at work and I have to get used to getting up early again. Which isn't easy, as my bed is sooo comfy in the morning :( but somehow it is also nice to have a routine again with all these days of lazy holidaying and netflix. (There has been lots of netflix. I have been binge watching Hannibal, which was amazing but also quite exhausting since there are soo many episodes. As a Sherlock fan I'm not really used to that.)

I have spent my Christmas holidays here and not at home. Many people find that very surprising, oddly enough. Well, maybe it's not that odd after all, with Christmas being a family holiday and all that. I just thought it would be better for me to stay here, without anyone from home, because I didn't want to get homesick, and also because I wanted to experience a typical Czech Christmas. Which I did. Because if you are away, or if people come to see you, naturally you will do different things. And as this here is a once in a lifetime experience, I wanted to cherish this as much as possible. So, in short, in my holidays I have...

-made Czech potato salad
-eaten Czech potato salad ;) with tofu fish, which was deliicious
-played code names, a Czech game, which was a bit challenging because it was the German edition and no one of the other players really speaks German
-taken part in a loooong gifts unwrapping session with a kid
-been to Prague and seen the Franz Kafka house (only the gift shop was disappointing; I wanted to buy one of his books but most things you could buy there were just typical gift shop things), an exhibition about nervous trees at the Rudolfinum (don't ask), the Christmas markets, and the cafe Montmartre
-watched all of Hannibal and got the shivers
-spent two days in Zlín, a town near the border of Slovakia, with the family of my boss
-played board games
-had an amazing New Year's party with three friends, quiche, Gloom, the new series of Black Mirror, Sherlock, cider and the fireworks
-finished the book I have been reading ("Der Steppenwolf" by Hermann Hesse)

...and probably much more, but these are the main things. Everyone here is eating carp with potato salad on Christmas Eve. In the streets you can see huge tubs with carps in them. Lots of people get one and keep it in their bathtub until they kill it. Easiest way is, of course, to just pull the plug. :D

Also, I'm really excited because in June, I will return to Scotland for two weeks! (That is where I spent my high school year abroad.) Since I left two and a half years ago, I came back every year; last year only for one week, and that was definitely not enough. So in June I will be there for two full weeks, which I'm very happy about:))

So, last thing: resolution for 2018 (I have to write this now when I'm still optimistic)

-travel a lot (plans are currently Krakow, Berlin, and Scotland; hopefully Hungary and the Balkans, too
-use less plastics
-take up running in preparation for tough mudder
-board games
-read a lot (read all the books I have here), including one Czech book
-drink a lot of water
-translate a lot of texts, mainly Virgil and Seneca
-spend less time on my phone
-take more walks
-get in touch with people I haven't talked to in a while
-learn more Czech words
-freshen up my Latin grammar and vocabs
-write letters
-watch the news every day
-improve my ukulele skills

So, this is all for now, and I suppose it's all achievable.

Also, we have degus!!! (Squirrel like animals.) Their names are Hana and Honza, and they are really cute:)) although every time I'm going to bed, it sounds like they are having a little pajama party over there:D

Too lazy to put up pictures. Next time <3 and sorry if there are typing errors.

Dobrou noc:)

Comments

Popular Posts