Phoneless - kinda


What do you think about that?
Really, what do you think?
No wifi. Take that in. What does that even mean? No whatsapp, no facebook, no messenger. No instagram. No google maps. No sending pictures to other people instantly, and no endless taking of pictures (like the one above, taken by me). No emails whenever you want to check if you have any. No snapchat. And that's just what I used when I had a smartphone.

Just to make things clear: I still use facebook. And gmail. And blogger. I use the internet almost every day. I just don't have a smartphone anymore. Today, after months of tinking about it, I started using an old nokia phone, almost like my first phone ever that I got ten years ago. I started using a smartphone four years ago. And for the first 9 months nothing really changed, but then I started spending more and more time on it. Sending messages, sometimes just pointless being online. And it became more and more. When I came to the Czech Republic, it was the first time in ages that I saw lots of young people not having one. Many do, of course, but many don't. And they survive, don't they? That's what got me thinking about changing my phone. The main thing keeping me from doing that was that I was in touch with two of my best friends via whatsapp. Both of whom have facebook. But still, I was hesitant. And then last week, I spent time with my family in a place with no wifi, and that's when I realised that that doesn't even really matter. Because honestly, are my friends going to abandon me just because I don't have whatsapp? They can email me, or message me on facebook, or text, or simply just call. And I know they will.

That week was so lovely. No emails, no calls, no texts, no instagramming. Just time for myself and the people I love. And I kept it like that afterwards. I stopped using wifi on my smartphone until I got my "new" one, and I feel so relaxed like I haven't in months.

So that's why.

I am not judging anyone who does things differently. This is just what worked best for me. After all, the most important thing is only, whatever phone you have, to know that the world and the people around you are more important than all that.

Comments

  1. Hello, and great going!

    That is so, very true; spending time with family, and, no interruption.... is the best moment of sharing your life's concern. Say hello to your Mom for us.

    Thanks, and, regards............. Femme & family

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts