Czech lessons and first day at work:)

Hello again:)

So. The first two days here. 
It's really nice here. I'm having a good time. Yesterday, we got to meet the other volunteers, got to know each other a bit (they're all sooo nice! That really is a relief), and we also got Czech money and sim cards. The food here is amazing. I've had a lot of vegetarian food here, but I like it, and I guess I'm going to try all the meat they have here soon anyway. We went to a really good vegetarian (or even vegan, not sure) place in Lužánky, which is the park where the headquarters of our organisation are. Today we went there again, or at least some volunteers. 
We also explored the city a bit. Yesterday we saw a clock that's really famous here, it's an astronomical clock, also known as the "cock clock" ;). All the volunteers split up into different groups and we were given sort of tasks to do in the city, like things to find and things to do, etc. It was fun. Still, we were all glad to finally meet for dinner again because we were all hungry and it was a lot of walking. We went to another vegan place, which was also nice, and we met ome of the other mentors (each volunteer has a mentor) and ate and talked. I went home at about 20 past eight because I knew the next day was going to be a long one, and I was right, it absolutely was. A good one though. :)

Today I had my first Czech lesson. It lasted for about three hours. We learned about vowels, consonants and the pronounciation in general, we learned some vocabs and how to order in a restaurant, and we learned numbers. So now I know at least a little bit; it's not much, but it's something. Tomorrow I have another Czech lesson. It's hard, but at least I know about grammar because German isn't easy either, so that makes it a bit easier as well. We'll see how it goes. 
After that, some of us went to the vegetarian place in Lužánky again, and then I tried (unsuccssfully at first) to get out of the park. I met one of the mentors and she showed me. I guess my sense of direction is never going to improve. 
Then I went to work, and that was really nice, actually. My tutor, whose name is Adéla as well, just like my mentor) showed me around, and then I attended one drawing class and a ceramics class. In the drawing class, the kids taught me colours, and in the ceramics class I got the chance to make something myself; I'll put a photo up soon. It was (and still is) a bit hard to overcome my shyness with the kids, especially bcause they're shy as well and I don't really speak Czech except a few words and sentences, but it's gonna work out. It's a bit easier with the younger kids because they just don't care that much if you understand them or not,they're talking to you anyway. One of them said he was going to paint a picture for me, totally made me swoon:)) And I was also invited to join a sort of dancing group and a colleague gave me some pumpkin spread to put on bread. So everyone there is really nice.
Then I had a cup of tea with my mentor at a café (not gonna repeat every detail of our coversation and all that because even though I have a blog now I want some privacy, but anyway, she's lovely) and we just talked about this and that and also about trips in the future. So it was a loong day, but a really good one. I'm slowly starting to settle in, which is a good feeling. :)

Enjoy your evening, 
Viola 




Comments

  1. Glad you're doing well!(: Miss you already! Hope the Czech tea is as lovely as the English?(; xxx Sami

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts